In general, the FET Compressor can be used for deeper gain reduction than you would normally use with any compressor. The reason is that even at extreme settings, the FET Compressor shows no trace of the pinched sound many other compressors make when you push them hard. This ability for strict gain control is not least useful on lead vocal tracks that need to be kept in the listener’s face. The distortion also adds a nice grit to the voice, highly useable in rock mixes but in no way limited to that.
Softube is so good, after using the products the first time, I could speak French. Mainly because I kept saying: Pardon my French, but these plug-ins are f**king unbelievable! The FET Compressor in particular is probably the warmest, fattest compressor plug-in on the market.
Tony Shepperd, Madonna, Whitney Houston, Back Street Boys
Another common use for the FET is in drum mixing, where many engineers use it on room microphones, overheads or across the entire drum buss. Used this way, the FET Compressor has a way of bringing out a large, explosive sound in the Led Zeppelin vein. This is also an application where parallel compression is a useful technique, so we added the Parallel Inject control to facilitate this. To reduce kick drum pumping or let the bass guitar’s low end bloom, use the side chain filter.
But there are still many more uses for the FET. Bass, acoustic guitars, pianos – bring out some edge or use the compressor’s fastest attack setting to round off any transients.
The FET Compressor is a wonderful addition to my arsenal. I adore it on piano and bass guitar and the built in parallel compression is a big asset for live work.
Robert Scovill, Live sound engineer. His career spans over 30 years and includes live work with artists such as Prince, Rush, Def Leppard and Alice Cooper
- Sweet input and output stage distortion.
- Super fast attack time (just like the original)
- Lookahead (in case you don’t find the original’s attack time fast enough)
- Modeled “All buttons in” mode
- Continuous ratio (even between 20:1 and ALL) – but if you want the fixed ratios of the original, just click the ratio labels around the knob
- Parallel compression.
- Detector low and high cut filters
- External side chain
- Stereo with synchronized gain reduction
- Very CPU friendly
- Meticiously modeled analog compressor. Each single stage of the analog unit has been modeled separately to achieve the exact sound and behavior of the original analog unit
- NKS-ready: Integrates with Native Instruments hardware and software. Plug-in parameters and presets can be controlled from KOMPLETE KONTROL and MASCHINE